Tuesday, September 15, 2009

And so it begins… (September 14)

After checking multiple lists multiple times….packing, weighing, repacking….debating whether to go to bed early or stay up late….the trip is now underway!

Although generally an ‘anti-lister’, I confess to making a few lists in preparation for this trip. (My final list had as an entry: “check list again”!) My regular life keeps my brain full and I kinda worried about landing in another country without my glasses or something! In the end, my early preparations did pay off. I had applied for a visa early enough to actually reapply when I discovered I made a mistake on the first one. Happiness! (Actually, the happiness came when the visa arrived 5 days prior to take-off.) Another little oops was overcome when I discovered on Saturday night that I hadn’t booked a room for my first night’s arrival. Yeah, well… Having resolved that, I have a place to lay my head on my first night in Vietnam as well as my last night.

I bathed my little ones and got them all ready for bed last night before enjoying some extra snuggle time with them. I told them the story of Hezekiah and how God takes care of bigger things than we even ask for. We blessed each other, prayed and shared about ten gazillion hugs and kisses. Watching them fall asleep and knowing I wouldn’t get to tuck them in for two more weeks was really tough.

With my little ones asleep, my bags packed and a 4:15 wake-up call coming soon, I was heading to bed when I was met with “Oh, mom! You can’t go to bed yet!!” from two of my teenagers. They wanted me to stay up and watch a movie with them. So, naturally, I did. It was a great movie that we’ve seen many times together so it was more about hanging out together than watching a show. After the movie, I settled my bleary-eyed self under the covers and heard a knock on the door. My oldest had re-worked my iTunes library and wanted to tell me all about it. He’d added a bunch of his favorite songs (that he thought I’d enjoy) to my iPhone. Then, we launched into a great visit about music genres, trends, secular versus religious….and random other stuff. I love being his mom.

What a wonderful way to end a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment