Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Fun at the airport (September 14, later that morning)

Maybe someday luggage will come with a built in scale. You’d pack your stuff and a little scale would tell you when you have to stop! Wouldn’t that be great? My luggage doesn’t have that little scale. I originally packed in two medium sized bags, but gave up the duffle since it wouldn’t be able to double as a carry-on, if needed. I instead chose the largest and smallest cases of my set. When I started putting everything into the biggest suitcase, you KNOW it was heavy. My bathroom scale couldn’t read it well because it wouldn’t stay on (I know the feeling. Even suitcases don’t want to weigh!), but I did the best I could in estimating how much would be able to go in there. Since there was room to spare, I thought I might be ok.

Mom chauffeured me to the airport at o’dark thirty and there was plenty of time to check-in and officially weigh the bags in question. Sure enough, Mr. Big Bag needed to lose about 10 pounds. Thankfully, it was easier for him than for me! I shifted crayons, chocolate, books and cheese (yes, cheese) to the smaller bag and let Mr. Big carry all the light weight stuff. He was happier. United was happier. I was MUCH happier to not have to pay the extra $125 fee for exceeding the weight limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment