Tuesday, September 8, 2009

counting the days

I have friends who travel internationally all the time...do they spend months preparing? weeks planning? nights wondering if they'll forget something? hours trying not to worry that the world 'at home' will somehow careen past without them?

Good heavens.

This amazing adventure came to me on a very non-descript letterhead from a group that sponsors a variety of cultural trips. My national certifying organization, the American Speech Language Hearing Association, coordinated a trip with this group to SE Asia and I was invited to participate. The primary goal of the trip: information sharing, dialoguing, establishing rapport with speech/language/hearing professionals in our host countries.

My first thought was to check the envelope and see if it had been sent "bulk mail." You know, like those offers from Publisher's Clearinghouse. Would I like to travel internationally as a speech pathologist? Using my experience of nearly two decades to share with others in the context of international communication? Are you KIDDING me? It was too good. Very similar to winning the golden ticket in the Wonka Bar.

After it was clear that this letter represented a true invitation and not some slick marketing ploy to get me to purchase an international travel plan of some sort, I ran to my Father. Oh, God! Look at this! It's got my name all over it, but *sigh* I could never do it. There are way too many obstacles: money, childcare, time off work...just to name a few! Oh, dear Lord...how awful to even know about this trip. It just hurts ...it's perfect for me and I just can't do it. *Insert tears of self pity here* I decided to pray about it, albeit with trembling.

I made this trip for you. Please don't NOT go! It's for you. I made it for you.


In fear that my passionate desire to love Jesus in the context of foreign missions was likely to overshadow my objectivity in hearing from God on this one, I leaned on the ministry of the body of Christ. Almost immediately, they confirmed what I felt had been God's urging. Each one said almost the same thing.."oh, this is perfect for you--like it was made for you."

So here I am, six months later counting the days until I board a plane on a business/mission trip. Business on the outside. Missions on the inside.

I love how God works.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read more about your trip! It sounds so exciting and like a once in a lifetime opportunity!!! :)

    Safe travels!

    Shelly Parker

    ReplyDelete